NPA Logo

Home

Find by location

How to......

Collections

About Us

News

Acknowledgements

 

Contact Us

Links

Other Clays

These collections are some of the smaller groups of pipes that the Archive has in it's possesion.

Theresinfeld, Austria (LIVNP 2010.18)

The small settlement of Theresienfeld is situated about 50km south of Vienna in modern Austria.  Along with Selmec (now Banska Stiavnyca in Slovakia) it was the prime site making 19th-century stub-stemmed pipes in the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  Production at Theresienfeld was dominated by the Partsch family and extended from 1813 until at least 1933.  Albert Halmos visited the site in the 1980s and again in 2007. He subsequently donated a sample of the material he had collected to the Archive (2010.18).  The collection consists of 105 items including 57 bowls, 26 unglazed earthenware cigarette holders in the form of dogs, two dozen of which are in their original packaging, and 22 pieces of kiln furniture. The latter includes fragments of rolls, saggars, slabs, props, bungs and possible clay pyrometers.  The pipe forms are mostly the tall, tubular, Schelmitz type, but some are in north-west European forms and a small group copy Constantinople originals.  There are 18 difference marks represented, mostly of the Partsch family, but also of Seiler, Honig and Rumpler and symbol marks. Whilst this type of pipe is now widely collected the kiln furniture within the Archive collection provides a uniquely important body of technological evidence for its production.

 

Back to Clay Pipes

Clay Pipes

Atkinson

Bijlmer (Dutch)

Cooper

Elkins

Goodwin

Green

Hammond

Jarzembowski

Le Cheminant

Oswald

Pollock

Rayner

Robinson

Skinner

Tatman

Thompson

Thrush

Woollard

Other clay

PDF reader charity copyright